COVID-19 Rapid Testing Solution in Cruise Terminals
Intercruises Shoreside & Port Services is expanding its collaboration with VIKAND Solutions, a global maritime medical operations and healthcare solutions provider. The Global Port Medical Network partnership (read more here) between the two businesses, first announced in November 2020, will now see them work together to implement efficient COVID-19 testing in cruise terminals.
The COVID-19 Cruise Terminal Testing Solution is an end-to-end, non-invasive testing system for guests, crew and terminal staff, and has the ability to detect the virus in 45 seconds. Comprising individual breathalyzer tubes and portable scanning stations, its high throughput COVID-19 testing technology is now available to support the resumption of global cruising and the wider maritime industry. With local presence in ports around the world, Intercruises will help deliver the testing solution by providing the necessary in-terminal management and logistical support.
“We have already seen that the safe return to cruising is possible, enabled by the correct health and safety protocols, including testing. The partnership we have with VIKAND and their breakthrough technology will help advance this process and the ongoing resumption of our industry,” said Olga Piqueras, Intercruises Managing Director.
“Intercruises’ global presence and local teams are a critical component in this initiative, enabling us to provide testing that cruise lines, ports and terminal operators can easily implement with minimal investment,” added Damien O’Connor, VIKAND Testing Solutions, EVP. “Together we offer tremendous value to the industry by delivering this crucial, emerging healthcare technology. We want to see, and are ensuring, that the many people affected by this pandemic get back to work—be it shipboard or shoreside—while the travel industry continues to work with governments, local authorities, and experts in the healthcare field to implement the most relevant and available solutions. Together, we all safeguard a safe, healthy, and care-free experience for our returning and prospective guests.”
About the technology:
- Created by BioSafety Technologies and approved by the Conformitè Europëenne (CE), the non-invasive breathalyzer technology, which is both scalable and portable, delivers results within 45 seconds.
- Easy-to-use functionality and interface that can be administered by non-medically trained personnel.
- Uses Terahertz (300-3,000GHz) frequencies to detect the presence of COVID-19 by identifying the bio-spectral fingerprints found in the exhaled breath aerosol (EBA) of the individual tested.
- Identifies COVID-19-free (negative) individuals while also detecting the virus in its early stages.
- Trialled on over 10,000 individuals during worldwide pilot program and validated by PCR testing.
- Equivalent results to PCR sensitivity and specificity and may be paired with recognized PCR technologies like Abbot ID Now™.
- Successfully deployed as the current screening process used in the Dominican Republic for flights to the USA, with Delta Air Lines and American Airlines.
Intercruises & VIKAND Partner to Provide Global Medical Network